Evangelicalism Now: Five Things Evangelicals Need to Face the Next 10 Years
- A clear understanding of the gospel.
- A stronger focus on discipleship.
- A greater passion for mission.
- Evangelism in the age of the Nones.
- New thinking in developing best practices.
State of the Evangelical Union
Customarily a “State of the Union” address does two things:
First, it makes some poignant observations about where we’ve been in the past year. In our context: “Broadly, what did 2012 hold for evangelicalism?”
Second, it gives some ideas and pictures of the future. “What will this next year hold and where might we want to put our time, resources and energy?”
For most of us a quick image describing what we desire to say is very powerful. Below is a collection of simplistic images that we call “Napkin Theology”. Use liberally.
The Truth About How Consensus Kills Courage
One of the biggest problems in the church (and many other organizations) is our drive to obtain consensus before acting.
Consensus kills courage.
When the elders say No
I’ve said it many times but we all need people who can get in our face and say no. The longer a man is in a pastorate the harder that is going to be.
Don’t settle for information or behavioral modification. Aim for Christ-centered discipleship that brings about true transformation.
5 Reasons Some Leaders Finish Poorly
- They did not trust the very people they developed for succession.
- They fought over things which were just not that important.
- Their identities were too connected to their movement.
- They grew angrier as they grew older.
- They could not pass on what they helped create.
7 Steps to Becoming a Heretic
- Have a desire to be an epic difference maker.
- Find a truthful doctrine that is being neglected or under emphasized
- Make your ministry about restoring this precious doctrine.
- Begin emphasizing this truth to the expense of other equally true doctrines
- When people begin to question your overemphasis and/or your negating of other truths consider this the price of being an epic difference maker.
- Continue undeterred.
- Emphasize your truth.
3 reasons why some churches don’t grow (that you don’t usually hear)
- “Soil” conditions.
- It could be God being very merciful to you.
- The Lord doesn’t want it to.
The Freedom of Being A Nobody
So let’s all be nobodies together. Let delight in the freedom that comes from not caring what others think. Let’s remember that we are dust, and that God is the only “somebody”.
I’m So Glad Paul Used This Word…
Are you perplexed? Are you down? Get back up. Keep going. Keep seeking Jesus for strength. Keep asking him for answers. Don’t despair. Jesus is about to display his glorious power through you.