Some preliminary conclusions on theological controversy:
- Some things are worth fighting for. Some things are important and worth discussing, but not worth splitting over. Some thing aren’t worth fighting about at all. The trick knowing which issue belongs in which category.
- Everyone has a list of things that are worth fighting for. The only question is what’s on the list.
- Here’s a short list of what’s worth fighting for: the authority of Scripture and the gospel. (UPDATE: See the comments for some clarification.)
- You can and should have things you believe strongly, but remember – these aren’t essentials. They’re still important though.
- Fighting for something doesn’t require nastiness. Honesty and respect go a long way when we disagree.
- Controversy is hard. It’s sometimes necessary, but it always takes a toll and we’re not supposed to like it.